Resume of Joel Garry
Over 27 years of professional experience in software development
and database administration. Expertise in 3GL and 4GL development
languages and administration tools for databases and operating systems.
Oracle5/6/7/8/8i/9iR2/9iAS/OAS10g/10gR2/XE, OCP, HP/UX 9/10/11/11i/11.23, iRenaissance 5.0/5.7/6.2, Gembase/IAF
5.1/5.2/5.5/5.6/6.15a/6.1.6/7.2/7.3/8.0, Compass Contract 6.1/6.2/6.3/6.5, Solaris
1.x/2.5/2.6, Unix Shell scripting, VMS 3/5/6, AIX 3/4.1, Digital UNIX 3.0, Ultrix
4.2, Windows 3.1/9X/NT 4.0/2K/XP, Sybase 4.2/10, Rdb 5.5/6.0/6.1, Ingres 6.4, RMS, BP2,
Omniback, SCO, Duplix.
10/80 - 03/82: Linear
- 8/01 - 2/02, 9/02-present: Nexgen Pharma, Inc. (Formerly Anabolic
- Customized iRenaissance 5.0 Process Manufacturing/Inventory Control package.
- Upgraded iRenaissance 5.0 to 5.7, then 6.2.
- Performed Oracle DBA tasks.
- Installed Oracle 9iAS, OAS10g, 9iR2, 10gR2.
- Implemented remote Standby database.
- Implemented backup procedures and DBA reporting.
- Wrote Gembase reports and online programs.
- Increased performance of critical programs.
- Converted 8.0.5 database to 8.1.7 multiple instances, then to 9iR2, then 10gR2.
- Platforms: hp-ux 11.11 on one rpr3340 (4 processor
8G), hp-ux 11.00, 11.11, 11.23 on two N class (8 processor 8G memory), two K class
(2 processor 1.5G memory, 4 processor 2G memory) and one Itanium servers, Windows 2000/XP, autoraid, M1000.
Oracle 8.0.5, 8i, 9i, 10gR2, XE administration. iRenaissance 5.0, 5.7, 6.2 process manufacturing, supply chain and financials (thin-client) modified via
Gembase/IAF 6.1-5a, 6.1-6, 7.2, 7.3, 8.0 programming. NT, W2K clients with Reflections, thin clients and browsers.
- Originally Contracted through: Best Consulting
- Later Contracted through: Garry Multiuser Computer Systems
- Full time permanent employee as of December, 2007.
- 7/99 - 5/01: North Island
- Installed Oracle software, tools and
- Trained DBA's.
- Performed Oracle DBA tasks.
- Assisted programming staff in shell and SQL programming.
- Assisted staff in interfacing to remote systems.
- Implemented MRPII and custom programming of Aircraft
Manufacturing and Remanufacturing software. Projected database size:
200Gig (plus development and test databases). Assisted with various
other hp/ux and Solaris Oracle systems as needed.
- Platforms: HP/UX 10.2, 11 on T-600 and V-2500 class
machines, autoraid, Hitachi SANS, Netware, NT, Oracle 7.3.2/7.3.4
running Compass Contract 6.1/6.2 applications and custom software,
Oracle8.0.5/8.1.6, SQL*Net, Big Brother, Omniback, NT/W2K clients,
Exceed X-windows and Reflections.
- Contracted through: Strategic
Data Systems (fulltime/permanent as of January, 2000)
- 3/99 - 4/99: Bausch &
Supervisor of Unix and Oracle
- Supervised staff of
Database Administrators, Unix
Administrators and Operators.
- Installed Operating System software, tools and patches.
- Implement Y2K testing plan.
- Tested disaster recovery plan.
- Performed Oracle DBA tasks.
- Installed VSIFax software.
- Assisted programming staff in shell programming.
- Assisted business staff in implementing EDI (Electronic Data
- Platforms: HP/UX 11.0 on K450, K570 and V2200 machines,
autoraid and EMC raid, Netware, NT, Oracle 7.3.2 running Baan
applications, Oracle8.0.5, SQL*Net, Omniback, 100M Ethernet.
- 11/97 - 10/98: Information
- Set up and maintained Oracle
hot and cold backup
- Database administration, including investigation and
installation of new versions of the database software. Upgraded from
7.3.2 to 7.3.4 and made preparations for installing 8.0.5.
- Designed and implemented reports for publishers and other
- Participated in development of Information Quest and other
- Implemented design changes to the database.
- Participated in anticipating the hardware and software needs
of the database, and made recommendations for procurement.
- Negotiated licensing with Oracle.
- Reorganized database to properly utilize tablespaces.
- Implemented a set of custom monitoring tools.
- Tuned large database for performance.
- Helped applications programmers tune SQL code.
- Propagated database into separate production, development
and QA instances.
- Platforms: Sun Ultrasparcs running Solaris 2.6 with RAID1
and RAID5, Veritas, Big Brother, sparc 4 and 5, Windows 95. Oracle
7.3.x 8.0.5. SQL*Net V2. Oracle Enterprise Manager. Crystal Reports
6.0, SQL*Plus, SVRMGRL, Korn and Perl 5 scripting.
- 2/94 - 10/97: Ross Systems,
Senior Support Analyst
- Supported Gembase DML (Data
Manipulation Language) for
customers and Renaissance C/S developers.
- Wrote software problem reports for development.
- Performed Oracle installation and DBA work in-house.
- Oracle telephone DBA support for customers.
- Unix system administration inhouse and telephone support for
- Shell programming.
- Gembase is a 3 tier client/server programming environment
that includes rapid application development. The DML allows the same
applications code to run on multiple platforms and database engines. I
was in the Tools department. My main function was to support GEMBASE, a
4GL rapid application development environment. GEMBASE is the language
Ross uses to write applications used in over 2700 companies world wide,
including financial applications, and especially targetting process
- Hardware and Software:
- VAX VMS 5.5 6.0, 6.1, 6.2 on a mixed VMS cluster with
4000-100 (type 388) with 128 M, 4000-300, as DSSI and VAXstation 4000
and MicroVAX II with Ethernet as NI, DEC 4000 Model 610 running OpenVMS
AXP (Alpha). Also, other VAX and Alphas.
- VT220 & 320, VXT 2000 Xterminal, VAXstation 4000.
- PC Clones running Windows 3.1, WFW 3.11, W95. Pathworks,
Reflections, Gembase Client for Windows, Pentium/120.
- Pathworks 4.1, 5.0, 6.0 server and client. DECNET, UCX,
- HP/UX version 9, 10.01, 10.10, 10.20 on several HP9000
series 800 with 64M memory (Customers up to 768M) and 3G (Customers up
to 10G) disk. Installed Trusted unix. HP A1097C xterm.
- AIX 3 & 4.1, Digital UNIX 3.0, Ultrix 4.2.
- Rdb 5.5, 6.0, 6.1 (7.0 training).
- Oracle version 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 (appropriate minor
versions for all above operating systems, through 7.3.3 on hp/ux).
- Ingres version 6.4/03 (hp8.us5/00).
- Sybase version 10.0.2.
- Gembase 5.1, 5.2, 5.5, 5.6 on Rdb, Oracle, Sybase, Ingres
and RMS (5.6-6 development version most recent).
- 8/93 - 1/94: MicroFrame, Inc.
- Installed Oracle 7.0 and Sybase
4.2 on Sun Solaris 2 and
- Wrote shell scripts and pc batch files for installation of
product demos and training classes.
- Converted Sybase SQL to Oracle SQL.
- 4/93 - 7/93: Warner
Brothers TV Casting Department
- Upgraded UNIFY database on NBI to
ACCELL database on SCO
- Converted C code to AWK.
- Straightened out system administration.
- Performed deferred maintenance on database, including
debugging of C code, and multiuser issues.
- 5/91 - 3/93: Computer Sciences
- Under GSA contract to the Marine
Corp., CSC was awarded
the renewal contract verses Planning Research Corporation. The project
continued utilizing the same description, the same hardware/software
and the same focus.
- 9/89 - 5/91: Planning Research
Data Base Management Specialist
- Under GSA contract to
the Marine Corp. Designed and
programmed software for hand-held computers (Intermec 9440) for housing
inspectors, interfaced with UNIX based 4GL database.
- Designed and programmed new applicant waiting list system in
- Supported users and programmers in existing system.
- Straightened out multiple databases.
- Sysgened and brought up new SUN 4 UNIX and ported NBI UNIX
applications to SUN. Users used PC's networked with BANYAN VINES over
thinnet to an ETHERNET gateway, allowing access to either UNIX machine,
as well as the UNIX machines to use BANYAN print services.
- Brought up dial-in access, over dial-up and dedicated
- Supported ORACLE based custom financial system.
- Installed ORACLE7.
- Remapped PC keyboards to look like VT220s, modified system
files to allow network, direct and Sunview applications to work the
- BSD 4.2, 4.3, and System V UNIX maintenance in both dual and
- Programmed in C, AWK, Bourne shell, and C shell when needed.
- Provided support for PC/TCP and TCP/IP networking.
- Performed VINES system administrator functions.
- Programmed in IRL language (barcode).
- Provided DBA services for UNIFY and ORACLE.
- Wrote C triggers.
- Programmed in SQL.
- 01/88 - 04/89: Approved Home Loan
- Provided financial analysis for home
loan customers and
Real Estate agents.
- Wrote Foxbase database for tracking leads.
- 05/89 - 10/89, 03/84-12/87: Beck Computer Systems
- Designed system for programming PDP-11
and VAX computers.
- Designed new Menu, AP, AR, GL, and OE systems for sale.
- Analyzed customer's needs, including working with top
executives at various customer companies.
- Trained programmers.
- Extensive applications programming.
- 11/83 - 03/85: API Alarm Systems
- Designed and programmed
telephone bill tracking system,
resulting in a savings of thousands of dollars per month.
- Upgraded over three hundred programs to new functionality and
- Wrote difficult programs.
- Trained and managed two people.
- Sysgened new computers.
- 03/82 - 08/83: Platt Music (Bought by Marshall Fields, defunct)
- Designed and programmed distributed sales and inventory
system for this large retail chain, resulting in a savings of hundreds
of thousands of dollars and incalculable business advantage.
- Internal consultant and trainer of eight programmers.
- Provided technical support for users.
- Liason to top management for SICS system.
Education and Certification:
- Converted spaghetti BASIC to
- Trained two programmers.
- Wrote sales analyses programs.
- Interfaced Apple to PDP-11/44.
- Oracle Education
Online, CBT, IOUG and Oracle Open World classes, 1990-2002.
Passed OCP DBA, 2002.
- National University
Classes towards MBA, 1992.
- UCLA extension
Certificate program in System Management, 1988. (See Course
- Digital Equipment Corporation training
Certificate in Datatrieve, 1983.
- Computer Learning Center
Certificate in Programming and Systems Analysis, 1980. (See
Course Detail, below)
- Western State University
College of Law
One semester of Law, 1979.
- UC Santa Barbara
Bachelor of Science, Physiological Psychology, 1979.
Certificate program in System Management.
Computer Learning Center
- On-line Systems
- Advanced Networking
- Systems Analysis
- SA Tools and Techniques
- Project Management
- Distributive Processing
- Strategic Planning
- PL1, and others.
Certificate in Programming and Systems Analysis
- RPG II
- Hardware: IBM 360, IBM 4341
Back to work page
Back to Joel Garry home page